Thursday, November 15, 2007

Typing with numb fingers.

Oh my god, we've hit minus double digits! I've been doing quite well. The mornings have been cold at a few bellow and the day time temperature has been reaching a manageable 5-6 degrees. This morning however ,I was caught completely unawares, as the thermometer plummeted into the minus 10-12 range. It was such a shock as the cold penetrated the singlet, shirt, jumper and leather jacket I was wearing. I always thought it strange when Nastya would say:"leather is for Autumn and fur for Winter", well now I completely agree! To make matters worse Vladivostok's notorious winds were in full effect this morning, greeting the locals like a cold hard slap in the face as they stepped from their homes. The wind chill in Vlad is infamous and can turn a -10 degrees day into one witch is more like -30 degrees.
So you can imagine how I would have felt this morning, after the long frost bitten walk to the parking lot, every urge in my body was focused on getting in the car and cranking the heater. Well, no such luck. The car wouldn't start! The engine had frozen and the heater, no matter how much I wanted it, was going to stay off. One hour later the car slowly woke from it's frozen slumber and off to work I went. Better late than never. Tomorrow the whole process begins again, I just hope the mechanics who worked on my car today fixed the problem.

2 comments:

Helen said...

Will we be seeing you in a Fur coat then Nic?

Nicholas said...

Helen, some how I'm not to sure how the fur would suit. Although when it is that cold anything is possible.