Friday, November 2, 2007

Home Alone

Life here is starting to settle into a somewhat familiar routine. Work for both of us is going well and definitely keeps us on our toes. As a matter of fact, Nastya is already scheduled to go on her first business trip. On the 12th of November she will join an auditing team traveling to Khabarovsk, about 14 hours away by train. The trip could be between 1 and 3 weeks long, leaving me in a bit of a quandary as to how am I going to survive while she is away. Well OK, that is a bit of an exaggeration, of course I'll survive, it's just going to be a little strange not having her around. Who is going to cook! I don't think I could go back to my days as a bachelor where the menu solely consisted of chicken, rice and steamed veggies. Yuck! Sure, I know what all you gym junkies are thinking, "Nic is going to get lean once again", well, no thanks! I am quite happy to continue the infatuation with all things oily, sweet and starchy (pelmeni, golubci, blini etc.). Since meeting Nastya, I finally understood the powerful words form one of life's true visionaries, Oliver!

Food, glorious food!
Hot sausage and mustard!
While we're in the mood -- Cold jelly and custard!
Pease pudding and saveloys!What next is the question?
Rich gentlemen have it, boys -
-In-di-gestion!
Indigestion, such a pleasantly painful experience, especially after one of my wife's meals. Boy can she cook!
This weekend is a long one due to "National Unity Day". Tonight were of to dinner at an American blokes house. He is also married to a Russian and has been living in Vlad for the last three years. It should be interesting to hear his story. I've got plenty of questions lined up for him.

3 comments:

Lisa said...

I find to hard to beleive that you ever exsisted on chicken, rice and veggies!

Nicholas said...

Lis,
For 4 years my diet consisted of nothing else 6-8 times a day

Lisa said...

wow...funny what you find out about people! I recently found out that Rod is worse than you when it comes to eating chocolate....or not being able to stop!