Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Lactose intolerant BEWARE!

Ok here's the deal, if you are lactose intolerant maybe Russia is not the place for you. Russia is a dairy lovers paradise with a smorgasbord of dairy products. Forget about Skim, Trim, Physical and all those wussie tasteless poor excesses for milk, here only the real thing goes, and boy is it nice to drink THE REAL STUFF once again. In Australia sure, there's milk, yogurt, cheese and cream but what about the rest?! Russia is dairy obsessed. I never knew there were so many different dairy products. Kefir, tvorog, sirniki, varenec, sour milk, butter milk, sirok the list is endless and so to are the dairy aisles at the supermarket.

I've recently acquired a taste for sour milk and with no fat, no sugar and plenty of flavour, this drink is a lifesaver between classes. The other day however, I was in a rush at the supermarket and just grabbed a bottle of what looked like sour milk. After my first class I was famished and popped the top downing it like a man in a Solo commercial. "Hang on this tastes kind of funky", I thought. Looking at the label it read "Kumis". "Is this sour milk?" I asked one of my fellow teachers. "No it's horses milk! " was the answer.

After recovering from the initial shock and image of a horse's udder, I actually started to enjoy it. Now I cycle between sour milk and horse's milk everyday.
Breakfast of champions - dairy all the way!

2 comments:

Julianne said...

Oh boy. Is this what happens when you are "home alone"??? Horse's milk of all things. Didn't Anastasia warn you??

Nicholas said...

Mum, it's actually not to bad and quite good for you.