Friday, November 9, 2007

Ned Kelly

Woke up this morning and it's snowing. I still find it hard to believe that I am actually living here. The culture, the weather and the people, everything is so immeasurably different. Sometimes I really have to pinch myself and that's not because of my numb body, but because my old life feels so distant.

Life teaching English is fantastic! The collage I work at is very professional, with most of the teachers being Russian. I can't believe how well they understand the language, they would put many Aussies to shame with their language ability. Along with the Russian teachers, there are a couple of native speakers, Georgia from the US, Sand Deep from India and of course myself representing Aus.
Yesterday, however, another Aussie rocked up to EF, (English First Collage), looking for a teaching position. Oh my God what a disaster! Straight away he tried to ask all the Russian teachers if they could set him up and also explained that he didn't like French women because they don't shave their legs. I don't know where this guy got his facts from, probably the back of Burke. Anyway, this fast talking bush ranger quickly soiled his reputation and gave himself absolutely no chance of winning the job. I was just glad that I could put my fellow teachers minds at rest, that not all Aussies are raving sex obsessed, follicly challenged maniacs, just 19 million of us!

Nas is loving her work as well. She's off on a business trip all next week leaving me home alone for 7 days. Luckily there is "Expats Night"! One night of the week where all the fellow castaways meet up at the local watering hole and for 3-4 hours, Russia drifts off into the distance. Last Thursday was my first attendance. It was great to chat with other westerners about the trails and tribulations of Russian life. Next time I'll bring the camera so I can post a few photos for the Blog!

No comments: