Saturday, September 22, 2007

Tail Between Our Legs

Being kicked out of the bus and dropped 5 hours away from Vlad, 1 hour away any sort of village, was unexpected. A complete uproar for most. However, all considering I remained quite calm. This is Russia, so I have come to expect the unexpected. Like any true Russian, I just rolled with the punches and excepted the card I was dealt. I guess a nation that has been dealt so many bad cards in the past,(20million deaths in WW2, 30million in Stalin's purges, Communism, Perestroika, the Oligarchy, the climate, etc..), has learnt to deal with minor set backs as they should, with minor fuss.
So there we were, 5 hours away from Vlad and not a car, bus or any form of transport to be seen. I decided to just plonk myself down and go over some Russian grammar. After about 1/2 an hour a returning Chinese bus picked us up and the long trip home began. A combination of bus, hitching and walking (not necessarily in that order) followed. Arriving back home was pure bliss.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Pryvet Nic,
How frustrating!However it gave you the opportunity of being productive by catching up with your Russian Grammar lessons. Talking of productive, since your blog on the 'Metelitsa' you gave me a great idea for a Christmas present for my Mum this year (Yep, sorry to say its only 10 weeks till old St Nicholas visits us again). I downloaded the book Taras Bulba (with help from your Anastasia) for my Mum so she can keep her Russian up to date and she tells me she's coping with it very well. So I thought perhaps I would get her a little cd player with a CD of the Russian Folk Songs. I know Kalinka & Moscow Nights plus a few others. So off to JB Records I went, total CDs from Russia 'nil'. So I hit the internet to search for somewhere I can purchase a cd which has most of the commonly known songs she would assimilate with. Its frustrating, but I think I will achieve getting something before Christmas.
Hope your trip to China in October will be less frustrating and that you enjoy your shopping experience. Krys

Helen said...

mate you should have just had a cheeky voddy and ran home beside a taxi! hahaha Andy

Nicholas said...

Krystyna,
Sounds like a great present. Another good idea for your mum and for yourself would be to check out some soviet era movies. Among my favourites are:Ivan Vasilievich меняет профессию (back to the future, The Irony Of Fate Or Sauna Blues, and Moscow does not belive in tears. You can order them over the net with the subtitles.

Nicholas said...

Andy,
I have not been for a run in a while. Trying to stay off the turps for a couple of weeks. However, every time i think of snoring on our couch outside and Helen's karate kid impressions it brings a rye smile to my face.
Hope you guys are well.