Thursday, September 13, 2007

Метелицa

Today in class we had a change of tempo. Every Friday, now, as part of my Russian language class, we spend two hours learning about Russian history and folklore. Our teacher, a passionate music conductor from one of Vladivostok's prestigious music schools, proceeded to teach us the folksong,"Metelitsa". My first thoughts about this were pure fear. Images off grade 3 choir practice at Indooroopilly State School came flooding back. Was the teacher going to prise open my mouth with her fingers, in an attempt to get me to open my mouth wider, like they had done in my youth? Thankfully not. The lesson was extremely moving. What passionate music! Extremes of sadness and depression followed by extremes of happiness and joy were reflected in the song. Combined with the understanding of the lyrics, "Metelitsa", was more than just music to my ears. The song seemed to sum up Russia. Its soul! Tender yet violent. Sad and at the same time cheerful. I highly recommend you to listen to it. Along with "Moscow Nights" and "Kalinka" this is the third folksong I've heard and now understand why they are still popular after hundreds of years. Passion!

No comments: