Sunday, September 30, 2007

A Monk's Party!

"A word of advice for all those aspiring monks in the the middle of their monastic studies, DON'T COME TO RUSSIA for it will be the end of you." (Jo, former monk in Vladivostok.)
My first impressions were cynical to say the least. Joseph or Jo, is an American studying at the Russian school I attend and a former monk here in Vladivostok. He invited Anastasia and I to a party on Saturday night and I had no idea what to expect. Jo mentioned that there would be a heap of Russian and English spoken there and so I was intrigued. Intrigued also about Jo's story. Here was a former monk inviting me to what sounded like a good old piss up, while at the same time not hesitating to mention how many good looking girls would be in attendance.
The party was fascinating. A collection of all sorts. American teachers, accountants, students from the UK, French diplomats, and of course a collection of Russians with expat ties. Jo's story was even more fascinating. He fell from the monastery because of Russian women, a curse from the look of things, he didn't seem to mind. The night was typically jubilant and all nations seemed to get along except for the Rugby discussions with the French. I met some interesting people and felt very much out of my league speaking only 2.5 languages.
Jo passed out before we left, I think he enjoyed himself. The night left me wondering, if Russia can do that to a monk, what chance do mere mortals have when visiting.

Jo (seated) surrounded by his guests.


The night's stalwarts, one Aussie (me, taking the photo) and the rest Russians.


3 comments:

Helen said...

Classic! Reading your stories is great entertainment Nic! It sounds like you are surrounded by very warm and colourful characters!

Helen said...

By the way, congrats on your car and flat finally delivering. Keep us posted with Anastasia's job mission!

Nicholas said...

Sure am!