Tuesday, August 28, 2007

School and Work

Today I went back to university. I completed a Russian language exam in order to assess my language ability. Finding it very challenging, I guess my ability is of a low standard. Check out Ksusha and I at the front of the foreign language department.
Following this, Nas and I caught a bus to "Sun Life", the fitness centre I will start work at on Thursday. As we walked in, every eye in the place focused on us. Foreigners are still a bit of an oddity here and so I keep being told, stand out. Russians certainly dress differently. For women, less is best. Short skirts and stilettos are fit for all occasions. For the men, well you should try and look as masculine as possible. No hair product, wafer thin physiques and defiantly no shaved legs. The hairier the better!
It should be interesting over the next few weeks how I fit into my new work place. After my first workout in 4 weeks, I had my photo taken for the trainer board, picked up my uniform and headed home for a feed of caviar and bread. My new recovery food.




6 comments:

Lisa said...

what work are you doing at "sun life"?

Nicholas said...

Lisa, I am one of the инструкторов, instructors. I will also soon be teaching classes and training clients. Some of my colleagues are powerlifters. One of them, Vitali (90kg, bench presses 250kg! It will be interesting to see how they train.

Lisa said...

Great news on the job, that will be so much fun! I can't believe that bench! Looking forward to getting some new training techniques from you.

Nicholas said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Nicholas said...

Lisa,
That's the plan. Learn as much as possible. I do know Vitali trains bench 5-6 days a week. Great if you've got a bit of extra help. He wasn't scared in coming forward about this.

Lisa said...

I am sure there is something to be learnt regardless of those differences.