Saturday, August 18, 2007

Saturday, August 18th, 2007



The portable Russian style BBQ. Set it up anywhere you like!
Even in the car park!
Food in Russia is an institution. The whole process from growing, selection, preparation, cooking, presentation, consumption and then what you do after a feed, is an ordeal filled with many customs, that we in the west have absolutely no concept of. Many Russians have their own dachas, (little farm houses outside of the city), where all sorts of fruit and vegetables are grown and then of course pickled for the on coming Winters.

Some interesting Russian traditions that revolve around eating -
1. Men always pore the drinks for the women. Girls sit back and relax.
2. Empty bottles are never left standing on the table.
3. Meals are a selections of 7-8 dishes.
4. Toasting friendship, love, health, etc... Always accompany drinking.
5. One drink should be followed quickly by the second for good luck. Then as everything in 3s is also good luck, you should quickly have your third.
6.Running out off food is sacrilege. You can never eat or have enough food on the table.
7. Meals generally last about 2hours with some going all night long.
8. Black tea with lemon accompanied with sweets always follow the main.

Sash and I enjoying a toke for the Kalyean after yet another meal.

3 comments:

Lisa said...

I know you can eat,but are you becoming "match fit" with the drinking yet?

I did a great bench session today. I posted the info on my training blog.

Lisa

Helen said...

Is it the same fruity sheesha tobacco you get in the Middle East? I cherish my favourite Egyptian souvenier!

Nicholas said...

Yes it is and I plan on souveniering one myself.