Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Super Babushka!

Well spring is in the air, even though the daytime temperature is still struggling to climb above -5. Strange, I never would have thought -5 could feel warm, but that's exactly how it is here. People are starting to disrobe ever so subtly. One less layer, down grading from the impossibly thick wolf hair socks to the thinner Jack Russell variety, and funnily enough many locals are brave enough to venture outside minus the normally obligatory headwear.
Babushkas (Russian Grannies) all over Russia are up in arms!
The Babushka is not one to mess with. This innocuous looking woman, innocently wrapped in her 500 layers, will stop at nothing to ensure the average Russian citizen is appropriately dressed. That means, don't ditch that beanie until the sweat from your brow starts to sting your eyes!
The other day for example, I was cruising down the street in my merry way, minus any headwear, when I was accosted. From out of nowhere, darted a half-crazed Babushka, arms flailing and inaudibly screeching in my direction. Had I been mistaken for the local thief or was this Babushka just off her rocker!! Ha Ha! Luckily the woman calmed down enough for me to understand what see was unhappy about. I had committed a 1st degree felony in the Babushka book of Russian law: always make sure your head is warm!
Babushkas don't just stop at the head warming offence, sitting on concrete is a big no no, as it can render you infertile (guys and girls). This felony can turn ugly, as I've seen many a Babushka, enhanced by some metaphysical power, lift people twice their size of cold concrete and save them form the dangers of infertility. Who needs Superman and Spiderman when there is an awaiting Babushka around every corner?
People often ask me if it would be hard to raise my child in Russia. Well with millions of Babushkas looking out for their welfare, I think you already know my answer.

No comments: