Saturday, May 10, 2008

Labour and Victory Day

Two weeks, two parades and yet another two jam packed weekends.
The 1st of May was huge. I never thought a Labour Day march could attract so much enthusiasm and fanfare. Actually, I never thought I would even go to one of these things let alone enjoy the whole process. Maybe that's because one Nicholas Unsworth-Smith donned the fluorescent orange "Primorskie Avto Dorogi" (Primorski Automobile Roads) safety vest and marched along side Vlad's proudest. That's right, I managed to utilise my amazing powers of espionage and slide my way into the workers' parade. Well it sounded like a cool story. In reality I just happened to know someone who hooked me up. Anyway, the experience was none the less exciting. Thousands of people lining the streets, placards, balloons, drums and the odd drunken marcher, made the march unforgettable. My position in the parade was right behind a group of these odd drunken marchers. It was hilarious, whilst assembling into position these proud old workers, from out of nowhere produced bottle after bottle of vodka. Now, we had to assemble a good hour and a half before the actual start and so it wasn't long before these guys were swaying in the wind. One bloke was completely legless, literally, and I bet Sasha that he wouldn't last 20 meters of the march. How wrong I was, for when the cue came to begin, somehow the guys actually moved with some sort of order. Sure they were a little wobbly but they marched and marched on! Huge respect, any mere mortal would have collapsed or needed his mate to prop him up. All I could put it down to was years of experience.

The next weekend after Labour Day was Den' Pobedy or Victory Day. What a holiday! I mean just the significance of this holiday is awe inspiring. The day commemorates the Soviet Union beating the fascists all the way back to Germany. 30 something million of these guys were sacrificed, a mind boggling figure considering our whole population is only 20 something. There were more Russian soldiers killed than that of the total allied forces combined. There are many phenomenal statistics that are just incomprehensible. During the Leningrad siege, for example, in the Winter months 11-12000 people were dieing, that's more than a Gallipoli everyday! So with such devastation why wouldn't you commemorate, celebrate, toast the night away to VICTORY!

The parade itself was huge and in Moscow rehearsals started 3 months ago. Unfortunately for me the overwhelming crowds meant a very limited view point. The fact that I arrived 2 and half hours beforehand to position myself was a completely futile gesture. So it is difficult for me to comment on what actually happened.

Following the parade however, a group of us traveled out to Jeff's dacha or country house for the night. Toast after toast for victory ensured the 0 degree temperature was not even an issue.

Victory Day in the country.

1 comment:

LARRY said...

Pretty good pictures, mate!!! Particularly where you were dressed in the fluorescent safety vest =)
By the way, haw are you doing?