Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Rugby in Russia?

I am sitting at home nursing a pretty nasty cold. Funnily enough, it's only now that I am having second thoughts about the Rugby game played in sub zero temperatures on the weekend. At the time it seemed like a great idea. Teaching Russians how to play Rugby, how hard could it be? I mean they've got the size, the aggression and the act now think later attitude, sometimes needed in Rugby, so it seemed a match made in heaven. Only problem was it snowed just 2 days ago, so the weather could be a little off putting, and these guys had never touched a footy, so their skills might need a little fine tuning.
Lifeclub is an extra curriculum activity that EF put on to enhance the students cultural awareness of the English speaking world. We've had seminars on the states of the US, talks on how to obtain that desired foreign company job and last weekend I brought the fundamentals of Rugby to the scholarly table.
They loved it! The game completely suits the Russian psyche; go flat out then prepare to smash or be smashed. Even the kids groups saw the girls mauling the ball off many of the strongest boys.
There were some difficulties of course, the offside rule was hard to enforce and for some reason forward passes kept reoccurring. Maybe it's their close affinity to soccer that was confusing them. Confusion aside the day was extremely enjoyable and I believe I have converted many to the gentleman's game, girls included. The 2 degree weather was a complete afterthought of which I am suffering for now. Russian Rugby I believe has a future!
The next lifeclub I'm planning to introduce Aussie Rules to the locals. It will rule out the whole offside, forward pass thing and suit most Russians as height here seems to be in abundance. Although I will wait until it is a little warmer.


About 2 degrees: check the guys wearing just t-shirts! By the way, that grass is fake but very realistic looking.

2 days before kick-off: view from my balcony window! Lovely Spring weather.

2 comments:

Kate said...

It looks like winter!!! How did they go understanding the rules? Wish Dan and I were there for it. Dan would have loved that!

Nicholas said...

Yeah the rules were a bit of a problem, however it didn't take any of the fun out of the experience.