Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Neighbours

Zzzzzz, Eehhhh chocolate river, ehh chocolate trees, ehh chocolate world, zzzzz!
Bang, bang, bang, -"is that someone at the door, no let me get back to my dream." Chocolate everywhe... Bang, bang, bang-, "damn what the hell is the time?! 1am! What the hell is going on?"
Nastya was off like a shot, I was still a little groggy, still intoxicated with remnants of my dream. It didn't take long before reality kicked in: some was trying to break down our door!
Thieves wanting my irreplaceable i-pod; no thieves wanting our laptop; no I know, thieves wanting my unique Australian bennie. Come on Nico get real. This is no time for jokes.
Someone wanted to either murder us or for some reason desperately needed to talk to us.
Once out of bed I peered through the peep hole in the front door to see two strange looking fellows. The younger of the two was shirtless in -15 degree weather, while the older carried a big stick and sported a beard that ZZ Top would have been proud of. Alright this is one of those points in your life where all that training is going to have to come in handy. Nastya yelled "chto nado?" Now my Russian is improving, however, at that moment my comprehension of what was said was useless. "OK mate it's on, get ready", and at that point off came my Peter Alexander monkey pajama top. I was ready to rumble!
"Voda, voda topit" came the hasty reply from outside. Apparently, the guys outside were our neighbours below on level four and we were flooding them. Quickly checking the bathroom, we found sure enough, that our boiler was leaking profusely causing quite a deluge.
The problem was solved easily enough however, the rants from Mr ZZ continued as we let our neighbours in to observe that there was no longer a problem. Mr ZZ turned out to be an old dedushka who needed a stick to walk. Along with is shirtless grandson the two were harmless enough. So much for the rumble. However, Mr ZZ was one grumpy grandpa as he began to incessantly rant and rave at us. His tirade then woke another neighbour, a nosey babushka. Oh my god what a fuss. We had to push the oldies out of our door as they continued to reprimand and wave their fingers at us disapprovingly. What a night! If only that was it; but no, the dedushka downstairs could be heard going off for the next hour. Finally after a very bazaar 2 hour ordeal peace was restored and dreams of a chocolate universe continued.